Saturday, March 5, 2011

Baked egg custard

I made this recipe often when I was in my Cruising stage last year. It is a tricky one as the proteins in the egg need to be treated gently and allowed to set the milk slowly otherwise they denature and the custard separates. I think I have the variables right now.

First I heat my oven to 150C and place 4 x 300 ml custard bowls in a deep tray and then fill around the dishes with warm tap water.

To make 4 x 1 cup serves of baked Egg custard, I first put 1 litre UHT skim milk into a 2 L pyrex jug and then heat for 4 minutes in the microwave on high. Stirring, I then add 12 sachets of Natvia (yes I am a sweet tooth) and 4 caps of vanilla essence. Then USING ONLY A FORK, I gently mix in 4 eggs only until the yolk was incorporated (too much mixing or too aggressive mixing and your custard will separate).

I then poured the custard into the 4 dishes that are sitting in water in the oven. I then sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg and bake the custard for 1 hour at 150C. At higher temperatures the custard will again separate.


Here they are. Peter and I like them 6.5/10 as a winter dessert, but Dan will not eat them anymore (perhaps because I had so many separated ones while I was working out the recipe).

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment