Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mini meringues

Off to Andrea's for lunch today so wanted a sweet treat and thought I could make meringues.

Margaret Fulton originally taught me about the difficulties associated with cooking meringue, but this Taste web page had some great reminders (they were Mum's cook books).

I cleaned and dried my glass bowl and beaters. I then arranged the oven shelves, set the oven at 120C and prepared three trays for the meringues by lining with gladbake.

I separated carefully 4 egg whites (room temp) using a glass and then added a pinch of salt and cream of tartar.

With my electric beater I beat for about two mins until soft peaks formed. Without turning off the beater, I slowly spooned in 5 rounded desertspoons of granulated Natvia. I then turned the beater to high and continued beating for 5 min. Natvia is slow to dissolve, but I checked its progress by pinching some of the mix and feeling between my finger and thumb. When it was smooth it was time to turn off the beater.

I then spooned teaspoons, heaping to give some height, onto the trays. I left no space for spreading. I then popped it in the oven and reduced the temperature from 120 to 90C, setting the timer for 90 mins. I then turned the oven off without opening the door.

When it was almost time to leave, 2 hours later, I removed a tray and sprinkled some with cocoa through a sieve and some with cinnamon natvia.
Dan gave it a 9.9/10.





Apparently they will keep for three weeks in an air tight container - I don't like their chances of surviving that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment